MAKE YOUR PURCHASES COUNT
If the five million households in New England shifted 10% of their existing purchases from non-local businesses to Local Independents (locally owned and independent businesses), we would see thousands of new jobs created and billions of dollars of new economic activity in New England, all without raising taxes or spending a dime more than we planned.
The 10% Shift is a coordinated call to action led by local-first organizations, just like Seacoast Local, all across New England, and it has the power to transform our economy, today, with just a few small changes from each of us.
As you are deciding where to spend your suddenly shrinking paycheck, consider the security local businesses add to our lives.
Each transaction you make with a local independent means:
- Significantly More Money Is Reinvested Here. Locally-owned businesses often purchase from other local businesses. Purchasing local helps grow other businesses as well as our local tax base.
- More Jobs Are Created. Small businesses are the largest job creator in the country, and for every $1 million spent at locally owned, independent businesses, twice as many jobs are created than if that money had been spent at a big-box store.
- Greater Investment In Our Community. Local businesses are owned by people who live here, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community's future.
- Lots of Competition And Diversity, Leading To More Consumer Choices. A marketplace of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term.
- Entrepreneurs Thrive. The more strong and diverse our local economy, the more attractive it is to people who want to launch new businesses here, creating economic security for generations to come.